Wednesday 19 August 2015

BACK TO THE FUTURE


BACK TO THE FUTURE.

Apologies to anyone that has wasted their time looking up my blog over the last six months or so as nothing new has been added – but  I do have a good enough excuse. 
                                
 

Last year following a routine blood test,  right out of the blue  I was diagnosed with a rather unusual form of bone cancer.  Up until then I had been perfectly healthy.  My consultant acted quickly and within two weeks of the diagnosis I started a course of chemotherapy at Barts Hospital.  The treatment continued intermittently until a month or so ago and  last week I was told my cancer was in remission.  The chemo worked well  (fingers crossed) but during the process the side effects  almost killed me and I am sure that some of the poisons are still in my system.   I am still a bit tired and need to get back some of the weight I lost, but apart from a few mobility problems I am pretty much back on track.  
                                 
 

In all this I am very fortunate at this traumatic time of my life to have been looked after by the dedicated staff and highly skilled consultants of  St Bartholomew’s Hospital, not only the oldest hospital in the UK but the oldest in the whole of Europe. 
                                  
 

It was founded in 1123 by a man  called Rahere who was probably a clerk in the employ of Henry 1st.  After the tragic deaths of Henry’s wife and children Rahere undertook a pilgrimage to Rome where he fell ill with malaria.  He prayed for recovery and promised that if his prayers were answered he would build a hospital for the sick poor in London - and upon his return he did just that.
                                              

But St. Bartholomew’s is much more than just a hospital.  A landmark in the city of London its also a church (the ancient church of St Bartholemew  the Less) , a museum , an archive for the records of many other hospitals institutions and charities and a set of buildings of great architectural and cultural interest. 
                                            
 

The North wing constructed in 1730 contains The Great Hall , a magnificent  double-height room in baroque style reached by an equally impressive grand staircase.  On the walls and the ceiling of the staircase are two huge murals painted by William Hogarth, The Pool of Bethesda (1736) and The Good Samaritan (1737) who carried out this work free of charge as his wife had recently been a patient there .
                                          
Above the gate of the main public entrance to the hospital is a statue of King Henry V111 , the only remaining one of him that exists outside of any public building in London.
 
 
                               

The impressive traditional stone buildings originally designed by James Gibbs in the 1730s, surround a central paved courtyard with a  fountain and small landscaped gardens.     One of these, the George V building recently underwent a remarkable transformation it’s exterior facade cleverly retained whilst  behind it hidden from public gaze  a brand new ultra modern glass and steel interior rises into the sky.  The inside of this new eight storey structure  looks and feels more like a expensive modern hotel than a hospital , but  now -fortunately for me - contains the very latest in medical technology including a centre of excellence in cancer care.
                                                   

From my treatment bed ,  its deep purple upholstery a cross between high tech and modern luxury style I could see through the window the glistening dome of nearby St Pauls Cathedral, only one hundred yards or so away.   A  wonderful sight which cannot help but aid in the process of recovery - and now I must get back on track and look to the future. 
                                   
 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment